On Wednesday 11 October (13:30 – 17:30), the annual Internet Thesis Award Ceremony will take place at Brinkhof’s offices in Amsterdam. In addition to the finalists’ thesis presentations, this year’s event will include a symposium on (generative) artificial intelligence—a subject of growing importance in the legal sphere (e.g. the upcoming AI Act). The symposium will include the following exciting elements:
- A keynote presentation by prof. Bernt Hugenholtz
- Manel Slokom (CWI – Research institute for mathematics & computer science / AI, Media & Democracy Lab) will provide insights on her research on responsible recommender systems
- Three finalists will present their theses
- Panel discussion with Stefan Kulk (Senior Advisor on Algorithms and AI at the Autoriteit Persoonsgegevens), Ben Zevenbergen (Responsible Innovation Ethics & Policy Advisor at Google) and Dorien Verhulst (Brinkhof)
- Finally, the jury (Joris van Hoboken (IViR), Suzanne Teijgeler (Warner Bros. Discovery) and Anke Strijbos (Brinkhof)) will declare the winner of this year’s Internet Thesis Award.
If you are interested in attending the event, please register here. The event is open to all legal and AI enthusiasts, including (but not limited to) students, lawyers, academics, and other professionals. For lawyers, attending the symposium can earn you 2 PO points.